Contact

niamay (at) mindless (dot) com

Sunday, October 24, 2010

welcome to my first blog attempt

Welcome to my blog! I'm so happy that I've finally worked up the courage and patience to write one; Amy Karol's blog has made me very happy/inspired/amazed in the last couple of years, so I hope that perhaps mine might make other people feel the same way. I've since have discovered so many more amazing people online doing amazing things, especially with paper, check my list of happiness on the right for more.
So, a little about me, I am living in Australia's extreme south west, famous for being a) the oldest settlement in Western Australia and b) the site of the last whaling station in Australia.
Its a really interesting place, lots of gorgeous old buildings and some wild seventies-style ones. I live with my husband and daughter, who is two, and takes up a great deal of my time. I have found time, though, to get totally fascinated by papercuts, Amy Karol at angry chicken introduced me to them, and after years of making stencils to hand-print onto clothing, I realised that papercuts are my calling. I'm no Elsita (check out her amazing blog here - the woman is a freaking genius) but I love cutting paper and the finished product. I am to be part of my very first exhibition next month so I am wildly excited! I am also donating two peices to the Vancouver Arts Centre which is a local art centre, and they are to be part of a 9x5" exhibition which will be auctioned off between the 18th and 27th nov. The VAC doesn't have a website, which is bizarre, but you can read about them on the Albany city council website.
I'm really hoping this blog will help me network with other people who like/make this kind of art, so please feel free to post a comment, send me links etc. This is the first time I've attempted a blog, and I'm not that talented when it comes to computers, so if something on the page doesn't work, let me know and I will attempt to iron it out!
This bear/squid papercut (I'm thinking about calling it "square...is that lame? like, as lame as a 'liger'??) is for the VAC exhibition, I do them all by hand, there is no computer involved. Mostly because I'm not confident with them, and also because I love the simplicity of a sheet of paper, a scalpel, and a mat.
thanks for reading, watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment